September 10, 2007

Columbia Bottoms CA and BBQ

"That river is too thick to drink, and too thin to plow.” - Mark Twain

Missouri and Mississippi River Confluence





Sunday evening Pete and I made a trip up to Columbia Bottom CA, located in north St. Louis County. While the route up is nothing special the park was nice near sunset. The CA provides an intimate look at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. The water was very calm and the color had a pretty blue hue to it versus the normal color of the Big Muddy. Was peaceful just to sit and watch the water. We were reminded that the Mississippi is a working river with several barges moving around on the Illinois side.

Barge moving upstream on the Mississippi River




After leaving the park we headed back into St. Louis, you can see the Arch from the conservation area. Neat view, I had already tucked my camera away, so next time. Coming into the city via Riverview/Broadway it was beginning to get a little dark, so we hopped on 55 and headed south to Reavis Barracks to Pennies BBQ.

If you have not been to Pennies' I highly recommend it. I had the full slab of ribs, ate 1/2 , umm where did I leave my leftovers :) Pete had this awesome pork steak, took all I had not to reach over and eat some of his dinner!


The Big Burgman and Little Ole Me


No comments: