July 26, 2006

Boom 1,000 miles!!!


Here it is, I turned my first 1,000 miles today. Was perfect setting, was tooling along listening to LA Woman by the Doors. I was able to pull over and take the picture. I was on Mo Route 94 headed towards Augusta.

Here is what the bike and I saw at 1,000 miles :)




MY LONG RIDE


Was an awesome day to ride, I left the house at 10 and headed out the backroads to WildHorse Creek to Ossenfort to T. I went for a short side ride through Babler Park before I got to WildHorse Creek. Was a perfect day to ride, no traffic at all. Plenty of horses were out by the fences.

Was hard not to pull the scooter on and play a round of golf at St. Albans Country Club, was the perfect time for golf too! So many hobbies so little time! Back on Hwy T heading west. Took a small side trip down to the Ameren UE Labade Plant. Not sure why a huge coal burning electric plant intrigues me but it just does.. it is freaking huge...

Came into Washington on Old Hwy 100. Sat down by the Missouri River for a bit.. was going to eat in Washington but wasn't hungry so headed back to Route 47 to cross the Missouri River. I was going to take Augusta Bottom Road into Augusta but quickly changed my mind. Augusta Bottom is the first right after the bridge.. started out paved road and quickly was 1/2 gravel 1/2 pavement with a whole lot of potholes thrown in for good measure. I thought to myself, No... HELL NO.... and turned around to go back to 47 to pick up 94 East. I have no idea if the gravel would have stopped but I wasn't going to find out.. Was hard not to turn left and head West to Herman when I go to 94, but alas I did come back East.

I am glad the road was gravel because 94 was incredibly beautiful today...hardly any traffic to speak of. I just happened to looked down and noted my odometer reading.. after I took my 1,000 mile picture I headed into Augusta.. now I am getting hungry.. but no winery restaurants were open. So I walked around Mt Pleasant Winery for a bit. In the tasting room I was offered some samples but politely declined. ..LOL was quickly approaching 90+ degrees.. So I bought a bottle of Port and Harvest Red. Headed back onto 94 East, I drove through a few other wineries making my way back to Highway 40.


Here was the big test.. Highway 40, the Daniel Boone Bridge and traffic... :) Once on the highway I stayed 60-65mph and crossed the bridge. Whew!

Took the Chesterfield Valley Exit, made a short side stop at Red Robin for a pineapple teriyaki burger then wound my way though the backroads to home :)

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Noel, it is not something I am going to do with any regularity...

I like the ride to Washington so i think 47 will be my choice to cross the Missouri.

I think the Alton Bridge or Eads wil be my choice to cross the mighty Mississippi.