July 21, 2008

Lincoln's Tomb Ride

Subtitle: Holy Crap there is a lot of farm land in Illinois!

Sub Subtitle: Holy SHIT Illinois has the highest taxes on gasoline for road repair, freaking use it!



What an OUTSTANDING Day for a ride. The right ingredients: great friends and perfect weather!

Jerry, Sandy, Steve, Jerry(Mo-JT), Pete and I headed north to the city to pick up Scot downtown. No issues except my Human GPS was wacked today, sorry guys for the missed turns. I think I was so into riding today I would say to Pete umm I think we should have turned there as we went buzzing by our turn.

Ride up to Springfield is actually nice but holy crap Batman we had to go through a ton of small towns and speed zones.

Once into Springfield we hit Lincolns Tomb and were greeted by Mark (Spanky here on the board) and Dave! Was greet to see Dave again and nice to meet Mark. Mark just got an 08 Burgman 400 in that beautiful blue black color!

We went into the tomb and walked around the grounds. Very nice, was my second time there but it has been 26 years. Yikes...

After the tomb tour we headed over to the WW II, Korean and Vietnam Illinois Memorials, all I can say is WOW. I really really loved the WW II memorial. But the Korean Memorial with the special memorial to the Chosin Reservoir was chilling. Then to have Steve recount a story of a friend of his that was one of the survivors was interesting to hear, thanks Steve!

Mark lead us to lead at Ryan's steak house. That place has some food!! Good Lord, I think I am still full!

After lunch we said our good byes to Mark! Thanks for coming out, Mark, it was great to meet you. Hope to see you again soon!

We headed back south with a pit stop in Litchfield to see Jim. To our great surprise Wade and Boots were waiting for us as well. We also got to meet Jim's wife, Linda. Was really good to see you up and about, Jim! Can;t wait till you are fully healed and we can make that Lake Ramsey trip!

At Litchfield we split into two groups home, Sandy and the two Jerry's headed back on 55 while Scot, Steve, Pete and I went the back roads. Once in the city we got to ride with a band of crotch rockets doing stoppies.. was cracking me up!

Again an outstanding day with great friends!!









1 comment:

Touring Motorcycle exhausts said...

A ride with good old friends and a friendly weather is what i take when bored. I would really love to ride to Lincoln's Tomb.