August 8, 2006

Nature Calls


Not only did I go to one conservation area today, I went to three. I was just planning to go to Castlewood for a small hike then back home.

Here are the pictures I took at Castlewood.

http://www.stlphins.com/castlewood/

The air felt so clean in the park even smelled good.

The hike I took along the Meramec must have energized me because when I got back on the scooter, I did not want to go home. So I followed Kiefer Creek out to St. Paul to Ridge Road to Old State to 109. Headed North on 109 to Rockwood Reservation. Did not get off the scooter here just rode around a bit. Then headed back out Melrose to 100, then back east to T. Took T out to St. Albans.

At St. Albans I went to Mae Head's store and got some water and cheese. And a nice clean bathroom to boot :)

From there headed back west on T to Englemann Woods Conservation Area.

Englemann Woods is a little hidden jewel just off Hwy T. I have ridden by it many times without stopping. Today I decided what the heck.. I locked up the scooter and my helmet and I went on the trail.

I consider myself to be in reasonably good shape but this trail is one hell of a test. The trail is about 2 miles. Up, down and all around!

If you dislike spider and snakes this is not the trail for you. I encountered 100's of spider webs and several snakes. Now the snakes would have probably not come into view but I was moving downed trees to find them. I saw 5 nests of hawks & 4 deer. I suprisingly saw no squirrels. (Edit: I was thinking abou tthis last night..maybe the number of hawk's nests as well as hawks I saw in the conservation area keeps the squirrels away?)

Information on Engelmann Woods:

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/areas/natareas/p57-1.htm


I would like to go again after a really nice rainfall and see if the runoffs I crossed are filled with water.

Pictures I took:

http://www.stlphins.com/englemann/


I came back T to Ossenfort to Wildhorse Creek to Kehrs Mill to Clayton and home.. to a nice cold shower!

All and all a nice morning..

Today was the first time I scootered with shorts on... I did feel tons cooler.

No comments: